2016-17 Choral Students
The Choral program at Calvary Christian High School provides a comprehensive, Christian vocal music education for all students that equips them to become effective producers of vocal music in our society. Designed to meet each student’s individual learning needs, the program has two classes – Beginning Choir and Calvary Choir. Both choirs perform at various events during the year – at concerts, school events, and community outreach performances. Throughout the year, students are selected to participate in smaller vocal ensembles and solo performances, and are offered extracurricular vocal music opportunities such as All-County and All-State auditions. The Choral program operates within the larger realm of the Fine Arts department, and frequently collaborates with other class at our school, such as the concert band and the praise and worship band.
This class provides a foundation for choral music literacy and performance, general musicianship skills, and also functions as a music performance ensemble. In the beginning of the year, there is an emphasis on building a solid foundation for choral musicianship, and toward the end of the year, there is an emphasis on the preparation and performance of repertoire. No prior experience is needed, but throughout the year, each student will be expected to develop his or her abilities as a vocalist and musician, and understand what it means to be an effective Christian vocalist and musician within contemporary society. A typical class includes a vocal warm-up, instruction on vocal technique, and development of music literacy through melodic and rhythmic patterns and/or sight-reading, and rehearsal of choral repertoire.
This class is a music performance ensemble. The majority of our year is spent preparing for concerts, festivals, and other types of performances at CCHS and in the community. Throughout the year, each student will be expected to develop his or her abilities as a vocalist and musician, and understand what it means to be an effective Christian vocalist and musician within contemporary society. A typical class includes a vocal warm-up, instruction on vocal technique, development of music literacy through melodic and rhythmic patterns and/or sight-reading, and rehearsal of choral repertoire. There are also special opportunities built into this class during the school year, including section leaders, performing a solo or duet at a music performance assessment, chamber vocal ensemble auditions, etc.
- Calvary Choir received Superior rating in Performance at the ACSI Choral Festival, 2016
- Calvary Choir received Superior rating in Sight-Reading at the FVA Choral Festival, 2015 and 2016
- Calvary Choir successfully auditioned for and participated in the Disney Candlelight Processional at EPCOT, 2015 and 2016
Individual Student Accomplishments:
- Seven solos received Superior rating at the FVA Solo & Ensemble Music Performance Assessment, 2016
- Five solos and four duets received Superior rating at the ACSI Choral Festival, 2016
- Five students earned a seat in the Pinellas County All-County Chorus, 2017
- Four students earned a seat in a Florida All-State Chorus, 2017
- Two alumni from the Choral Program are currently pursuing Bachelor’s Degrees in Music Education at Liberty University and Florida Southern College
- One alumnus is currently pursuing a degree in Voice Performance at Vanderbilt University