The college counseling department is committed to providing each family with a variety of opportunities to gain access to quality advising.
Parent education is a critical piece of our on-going efforts to prepare our families for the college selection and decision process, so we provide several events that speak to these needs at the appropriate time. Our goal is to help our families see college as a values-based commitment and not as a commodity-driven decision or a means of affirming the worth of their young person.
Individual meetings are offered primarily to juniors and seniors with particular emphasis given to seniors in the fall and juniors in winter/spring. Freshman and sophomores expressing an interest in meeting individually may do so with a college counselor in the late spring/summer, especially if the student has demonstrated high academic ability and is already engaging in the college research process for more highly selective post-secondary options. Parents are always encouraged to be involved in these individual meetings given the important role they play in their child’s developmental maturity and CCHS’s commitment to partnering with our parents based on our Biblical mandate.
The CCHS College Counseling Department offers the following college planning and learning opportunities to our students and parents.
- Grade-Level Group Counseling (Grade-appropriate curriculum is taught to students) with a focus on the following:
- High School academics, Personal exploration, exposure to college – Grades 9 & 10
- College and Career Research – Grade 11
- College Application and Financial Aid – Grade 12
- Individual Counseling
- Seniors: May schedule as needed throughout the year
- Juniors: May schedule as needed starting in late fall through early spring
- Sophomores/Freshmen: May schedule in late spring/early summer
- Parent and Student Education Seminars
- Senior Application Kickstarts
- Senior Parent Seminar – Helping Your Child Transition to College &
- Christian College Fair
- Financial Aid Seminar
- College Admissions Seminar (every other year) for Sophomore & Juniors
- Sophomore/Freshman Parent Coffee & Conversation